Saturday, June 29, 2013

Sexual Intimacy and Family

(June 10-14)
This week's discussion was of great interest to me. I was excited mostly to learn about how we can appropriately teach our children about sexuality--not just the basic "how it works" stuff, but what the best methods are for explaining body parts as well as conveying how sacred an act sexual intimacy is, and how important it is that it is confined to marriage.
First, let me start off by saying that I am a huge believer in the power of sexual intimacy to influence marital intimacy. It's not that you have to have sex to be a good couple, but I truly believe that engaging in it--and engaging in it OFTEN--can be a huge help to your relationship (when you're married, naturally). It's not because of the act itself, necessarily, but rather the emotions and feelings for each other that are aroused. It truly causes a bond to form, a trust, a love, an understanding, etcetera. The frequency of it can help you to feel so close to your spouse, and I honestly believe it helps you to be nice to them, and love them more. It is such a beautiful gift that God has given us, and of no small significance that it is the act that creates children--the greatest ability we have here on the earth.
Second, I think it is so so important that children are taught this--that sex is a beautiful, pure, sacred thing, and so naturally, it is something that Satan has corrupted--but only if used out of the correct context. I am so grateful that my parents taught me that all my life, so that when I was about to get married, I could feel comfortable with and excited for what was about to happen. I don't think it is ever appropriate to have any kind of preoccupation with sex, and that's not what I'm talking about. I just mean that I didn't have to go through what's known as "good girl syndrome". I had no problem being intimate with my husband because a.) there was no pressure as far as "performance" goes (which I think is important), and b.) I knew what a beautiful, sacred thing it was. Nothing about it felt impure to me at all, because we had so carefully saved ourselves for each other, and for that time, so it was really just a unifying experience.
I hope to be able to teach my children about their bodies and how precious and sacred they are, as well as convey to them the beauty of the sexual act within marriage while still teaching them to protect themselves emotionally and physically by not toying with sexuality before marriage.

Also of great import was the presentation about Friends, Facebook and Fidelity.ppsx. I feel like so many people don't take marital fidelity as seriously as they should. They believe in the principle of course, but when it comes to safeguarding a marriage, most people think it's juvenile to take action. For instance, we talked about such things as never complimenting anyone else of the opposite gender once you're married. I think most people would find that "a little over the top", but when we asked the question "What possible reason could you have for that?" it really made sense. Doing these things isn't immature, it's smart. I know that Derek and I have made every effort we can to set clear boundaries around our marriage, and it has made us both feel so secure and close to each other. It means a lot to us--not just that we do these things, but that we are willing to do ANYTHING that the other requests in order to make sure they feel secure in knowing that we're loyal.

No comments:

Post a Comment